Online stalking is OK

By: Ashley Lappe [Social Media Editor] @Ashley_Lappe33

As high schoolers in the 21st century, students are surrounded by social media on a daily basis. This often means that when they meet new people they meet them on social media. But in the occasion that they meet the other person face to face they will often times find them on social media sites to know more about them. In other words, they stalk their new acquaintance.

Online stalking is often put into a bad perspective with scenarios including rapists, sex offenders or kidnappers, but in many ways social media stalking is necessary. While getting to know a person personally and face to face is very important, it is not always an easy thing to do. One could get to know a lot about another thought their online lives.

There are downfalls to getting to know a person online: they may be completely different in person, the profile could be fake, and the personal connections that are necessary in building any relationship are gone.

On the other side of the scenario is the people who are the ones getting stalked. People need to be careful what they put online because although it may seem like a good idea to let people know who they are and what they are about, there are dangerous people who can use this information in the wrong way.

The bottom line is social media is a great way to connect with other people and learn about them, but it is important to have relationships in person. And while using social media, everyone needs to be aware of the dangers of using social media.

A student scrolls on her twitter feed during class.