Hansen’s hazardous happening

By: Savannah Guyer [Activities Editor] @SavannahMGuyer

Tuesday, May 13th, marked the fourth occasion of the Marion High School community service project known as One Day in May. The students that attended the all-day volunteering activity were split into groups and shipped out to different areas of Marion to do whatever chores necessary to shape up the surroundings they were placed in. Many of the students had a day full of experiences finished off with a sense of gratitude gained by knowing that they were helping their fellow community members and their city.

Neil Hansen, junior, was one of the few students that had quite a different occurrence. Hansen was placed in a group whose objective was to take bricks from Hannah Park and give them to the Granger House so they could create a new road from them. While some people were correctly placing the bricks where they needed to be, some students resorted to throwing them. Hansen was unfortunately hit in the head by one of these flying blocks, “I had just got done telling people not to throw the bricks, and I turned to talk to a teacher when I was hit in the back of the head with one of them,” Hansen stated. The event of Tuesday still affects Hansen three days later, “Even today I still don’t remember anything before that moment. People have to tell me what happened.” Hansen added.

Although Hansen does not believe that the throw was meant to intentionally hit him, it still affected his thoughts on community service, “It makes me want to dislike One Day in May, but I can’t because we’re helping people restore the community,” Hansen commented, “I would do the community service again.”

While One Day in May is something that most students enjoy, there are good and bad consequences to everything. Even though Hansen didn’t get the best result, he is still eager to help his community once more.