Determined at districts

By: Kayla Comried [Co-Executive Newspaper Editor] @KComried

The last chance to make it to state, the last chance to play his favorite high school sport, and the last match he will play in an Indian jersey if he can’t make it happen.

Jeremy Ellerby, senior, has played tennis for Marion since his freshman year. He will continue this love in college, playing for Wartburg, a private college located in Waverly, IA. However, tomorrow may be the last time he ever plays in high school. Tomorrow is districts. “This year, districts are at Dubuque Wahlert,” explained Ellerby. Districts are the last chance a team has to make it to state. They must make it to the final round in the bracket, to move onto the big state tournament. Being a senior, Ellerby understands what is at stake tomorrow, he knows this is his last chance. “I’m anxious, but not nervous,” he said. Later adding, “I am confident in my doubles team because we’ve had a successful season, and we are conference champs.”

Being confident going in is a good thing, and it will hopefully bring enough energy to push them into state, “I think Caleb [Scott] and I will make it to state in doubles. I don’t think the team will make it though, but I want them to. I just know that are a lot better teams out there,” stated Ellerby.

He can hardly contain his excitement for tomorrow as he sits in school. He anticipates the big day, and knows if he plays his best, he can attain his goal.

Jeremy Ellerby
Jeremy Ellerby