Hannah Andreasen, senior, marvels over her flower sale in the spring musical, My Fair Lady.
Spring Photography

Group members slacking off

By: Kylie McAllister [Co-executieve Yearbook Editor] @smileeyyykylie

Working in groups can either be a very helpful or a huge burden. This depends on the members in the group and their work ethic. If a group member does their share of work then it lightens the load on everyone in the group. Leaving all of the work on one person in the group is not fair and can cause stress on the one person.

Depending on the project having one person do most of the work can leave them spending many hours stressing to make it perfect. If everyone in the group just split the workload it would make it easier on that one person. Also, if only one person does the work and everyone gets the grade it simply isn’t fair. Why can one group member can just slack off during class and talk to their friends and have no part in doing the work for the project, but still get the same grade? If one group member spends hours making up the work that the other group members didn’t do, the group can normally get a pretty good grade. But that one group member that didn’t do anything does not deserve the same grade as the one who did all of the work. The worst part is, is that the teacher normally gives the all of the group members the same grade regardless of how much work they put in to it.

Everyone should contribute as much as they can do their group’s project. Leaving one group member to do all of the work is unfair and very stressful on that one person. The slacker in the group is really only cheating themselves because they aren’t learning the material that they need to know.

Eli Matthess, Ryan Anderson, and Jacob Deeter, all ‘16, work together in the library.