Social media showcase

By: Gage Miskimen [Feature Editor] @Gage_Misky

Social media is a extravagant topic that is discussed pretty much every single day. It’s become an obsession by teenagers and adults alike. If one were to be eating at a restaurant, they could look over to any given table and see multiple people engulfed in their glowing screens scanning Twitter or posting Instagram pictures. Why are people so fascinated by social media? Because it tells a story.

Social media platforms give everyday civilians the chance to be a celebrity on a smaller scale. Anybody can become famous due to their virtual stature. Social media users can even be someone they’re not. Many love social media because they can keep up and literally watch people’s everyday lives while people observe theirs. They can post little life moments and make them much more dramatic. They can tweet things that are relatable to others and make others laugh. Some say social media may tear some people apart because it may seem like people don’t actually talk anymore, but then again it may bring them closer together with people who would’ve never met otherwise. People can say things they usually wouldn’t, because they’re much more comfortable behind a screen and the things they say don’t necessarily always have to be negative, which a lot of people would assume.

Posting things on social media is like making a mini-movie of somebody’s life. Users get to watch each other as they grow up and live life and in that way, social media can be pretty cool. Sure, people definitely take advantage of platforms and can act really rude and arrogant. This can seem funny to some, but usually viewers find it annoying. People shouldn’t act like they are better than others just because they don’t actually have to face the people they are talking to or about. Users should try to stick to being themselves even though they don’t actually have to.

Social media is something that society is still figuring out. What should the rules and guidelines be? How should people act and respond to others? Maybe it’s something that will never be fully figured out but no matter what, it’s an entertaining way to showcase lives. Social media is a dangerous roller coaster that isn’t getting shut down anytime soon, so users should enjoy the ride as long as they can.

Brianna R. Dunkel and Jensen Beard take a “selfie” together to potentially post on a social media platform.