Testing perks

By: DeLaney Fisher [staff writer] @DeLaney__Fisher

It’s a week dreaded by almost all of high schoolers, statewide. Two hours filled with grueling standardized tests. It’s Iowa Assessments.

As soon as Iowa Assessments are mentioned most students recoil in disgust, but the tests often come with perks. Schedules are pushed back by two hours, snacks are supplied, and they don’t even affect grades or GPA. So, really what’s the harm?

The first test takes around 40 minutes then there is a break, and snacks. A lot of teachers bring an assortment of treats for students to enjoy after completing the first exam. It’s a yummy way to fuel their brain for the next bout. Sure the snack break is followed by another long, drawn out test, but all the time spent on the tests is less time spent in regular classes. That means less learning, and sometimes even less homework. Who would pass up an opportunity to get out of classes?!

Along with the tests came shorter classes. Another bonus! On top of that, and early out in the middle of the week. Having Iowa Assessments actually helped break up the quarter since there haven’t been an early outs due to heat, or late starts due to cold temperatures. They’ve made the week feel shorter and easier to get through.

All in all the Iowa Assessments have been a good thing this year. Substituting a couple of tests per day for snacks, missing some school, breaking up the quarter, and making the week feel shorter is a great deal.