The class taste-tests dishes at Napoli’s Italian Restaurant.
New fine-dining experience

Crazy custodial life

By: Taylor Lamm [Opinion Editor]

At the flip of a coin his life was made for him. There was only one job left and he got the spot. He became a custodian. Now he has been a custodian for 37 years. He spends his days at the school taking care and maintaining the halls and classrooms.

Dale Hatch, Marion High School’s custodian, has experienced a lot of crazy things here. “One night we had a custodian that had a buddy that rode a motorcycle through one set of doors across to the other sets of doors. The skid mark was so long that we had to scrub the whole thing that Friday night and put finish back on and nobody knew,” he stated. Sometimes it wasn’t just the custodians that had a little fun every now and then.

Other crazy things have happened at marion that Dale has experienced. “Linn-Mar use to dump come over and dump dead animals,” Dale said, “seniors use to put up outhouses, we’ve had a car on the roof…they put trees up in the driveway and we had to go out and chop them all up.” Being a custodian is never an easy job not only are they managing the school they’re dealing with the shenanigans of the teenagers.

It’s nothing easy but it’s worth it. For him its not about having to clean up after teens or fixing broken lockers, it’s about all the good memories that are made through his years.

Dale
Dale Hatch