Stop the prom talk

By: Alex Coleman [ads editor] @alexcoleman831

The color of the dress, the hair appointments, the dinner reservations, bits and pieces of one very magical night flow through the halls. A very hot topic in the high school at this moment is prom, and nothing but prom. Sure there are little pieces here and there of other things, people’s plans for spring break, the stress of finals week; but the biggest topic that everyone is talking about is prom. For outgoing seniors, this night is a big deal, one of the most looked forward to events of the high school experience. For the juniors, this being the first year they’re allowed to go without an upperclassman date, their excitement level is also very high. As for the freshman and sophomores, most of them sadly will not have upperclassman dates to the event and will not be attending. Besides the few that are lucky enough to go, most underclassman are sick and tired about hearing everyone’s plans.

It’s fun for everyone to talk about their dress, date, and color coordination for a little while, but once someone has seen their friend’s dress twenty times over, it’s hard to act so excited the next time they show it to them. Not only that, but there is so much drama surrounding prom. Who’s going with who, this guy dropped this girl and asked someone else, deadlines, alterations, lots of stress and things to worry about. Most students don’t mind listening to a bit of prom drama, but the massive amount that travels along with this huge night is just too much to bare.

Now it’s not like the underclassman are going to ask their upperclassman friends to not talk about one of the most exciting night of their high school experience, but they definitely wouldn’t mind talking about something else. Although what eye makeup people are wearing and what color corsages to get might be interesting to some people, there’s only so much people who aren’t attending prom can take. Have a conversation about the newest movie that just came out, or what college classes the person plans on taking in years to come. Just please, for all that is good and sane, don’t talk about prom 24/7.

A comic showing many underclassman's feelings about "prom talk".
A comic showing many underclassman’s feelings about “prom talk”.