Successful senior planning

By: Deshaun Quinn [Staff Writer] @quinntower_2

When students and parents walked through the school doors last night they saw many things. Smiling faces and people socializing around various booths. Tons of people representing colleges and careers and most of the junior class all gathered for Senior Planning Night.

Senior Planning is a night for Marion High School juniors to visit with occupations and speak with representatives from colleges on their future plans. The night starts off with a quick presentation from Mr.Kettmann on how the night is going to proceed. After that the choice is on the students from picking 3 magical doors. With the choice of listening to a seminar about a crime scene investigator or becoming a teacher or a lecture on things you’ll never learn in high school. From there students transitioned their way to the auditorium to sit through a 30 minute presentation about taking a job shadow. Then finally the main attractions, the booth visits. Students maneuvered their way through crowds of students to visit booth that peaked their interests. The booths varied from colleges looking for bright young students to  local jobs from around the Cedar Rapids and Marion surrounding area. Once visiting 5 booths of their choice, the students were allowed to exit, ending the night, but some choice to stay and further explore their options. Devin Royer attended last nights Planning For Your Future night, “it very informing,” he explains. Royer believed that the night was worth his time, “the Senior Planning Night made me feel welcomed and it was fun and I learned a lot”. There were many informational booths for students with all different interests. “FBI and the U of I were the most interesting to me,” says Royer.

All in all Royer believed it was worth his time, explaining that “it helped me plan my future.” To some, Planning For Your Future night seemed boring, but for Devin Royer it was an extremely helpful night full of great tools.

Devin Royer, junior
Devin Royer, junior