Judging a book by a cover

By: Taylor Lamm [Opinion Editor]

Judging a person without even knowing them has never been an uncommon. Sometimes the judgements are good and sometimes they can get harsh. When the judging gets to mean it can end up hurting a person in more than one way. The saying “don’t judge a book by its cover” is true. What someone sees on the outside doesn’t mean that’s how that person is on the inside.

There are several ways a person can get judged. One way would be by judging a person off of rumors. Rumors are common in high school and are never going to go away. Some rumors can be true, but most of them aren’t. When someone has a rumor spread about them it can end up affecting them in many ways. They can emotionally be hurt from the rumor. Also others can start to judge that person from what was said. This can take a toll on someone making them not want to go to school or just shut down to everyone.

Another way that people can get judged is in person. Getting judged by either one person or a group can be difficult to deal with. People can end up treating a person differently depending on what they think about them, even if they don’t know them.  This isn’t fair to the person that is being judged.

Judging people will never stop. Next time when starting to judge someone think about what it would be like to be in their shoes. Someone should also think about if they actually know them or not.