Delights and difficulties of dissection

By: Gage Miskimen [Feature Editor] @gagemisky

One of the most exciting parts of human biology is the infamous deer heart dissection. Some love making cuts and playing around with the heart while some people loathe it. Today, in Mr. Perkin’s class, students are going through this “right of passage” of MHS and students reactions vary.

Isiah Michaca, junior, Bayley Fuller and Danielle Dunne, both sophomores were in the same group participating in the dissection and Michaca’s opinion about the dissection is a little different than the girl’s. “I’m curious to do the dissection. I like the feeling of the sogginess.” Michaca said. The girls, however, want nothing to do with the slimey heart. “I am not touching it because it’s a heart and it’s bloody!” Dunne said. “It’s really gross.” Fuller added.

Both sides have different strategies to make the grade and get through the dissection, “I’m just going to cut in and learn about the heart.” Michaca said. On the other hand, Dunne and Fuller agreed to let the rest of the group take over. “I’m going to make the others in the group touch it.” Dunne said. “I will just observe.” says Fuller.

The heart dissection is a very two-sided experiment done in biology. Some are willing to get a little messy while others wouldn’t touch the heart with a ten-foot pole. Either way, there are different ways to participate in the group so it’s really nothing to fret about.

Mr. Perkins instructs his class before the heart dissection.