Hannah Andreasen, senior, marvels over her flower sale in the spring musical, My Fair Lady.
Spring Photography

Kuhn as manager

By: Kylie McAllister [Co-Executive Yearbook Editor] @smileeyyykylie

He places his visor on his head to prepare himself for another day of work. He walks in the door while thinking of all the responsibilities he has to take care of.

David Kuhn, junior, works at Hot Harry’s in Cedar Rapids, the only one west of the Mississippi River. David has been working there for about a year and a half and has been a manager for about the past year. Some people think that being a manager of a restaurant would be hard but David finds that being a manager is quite simple, “I just have to lock the door when we close,” stated Kuhn. At Hot Harry’s David makes burritos and cookies and washes dishes. David doesn’t find his work challenging until it comes to making burritos perfect. “It is easy to make a burrito, but hard to perfect one,” explained Kuhn.

Kuhn started working at Hot Harry’s because his brother left for college and it was the perfect opportunity for David to take his spot. Kuhn thinks that Hot Harry’s is better than other surrounding burrito places, “We sell cookies (big and small), which Pancheros doesn’t offer and we also have breakfast burritos,” said Kuhn. All of David’s coworkers are high schoolers, so he enjoys working with them. He works about two days a week so he has plenty of time to stay on top of school.

As the last customers leave the store David picks up and locks up the door. He takes the visor off his sweaty head and knows that soon he will get to come back to make another perfect burrito.

David Kuhn, Junior
David Kuhn, Junior