Suffering through pointless classes

By: Kylie McAllister [Co-Excutieve Yearbook Editor] @smileeyyykylie

Every single quarter students have to suffer through a new set of classes. While some of these classes might be enjoyable because the student got to pick them others that they may be taking are required and not fun. Required classes are very boring and in a sense pointless. Students might have to do a project to learn about the women of the 1920s but are the students really going to remember in future years what these women did? No. Little facts are going to slip from the student’s mind unless they try really hard to remember these facts.

Students dread going to required classes just about every day. They are not very fun to sit through unless you have good friends in the class. These classes become boring because it seems the students end up doing the same types of activities everyday. They just read from the book, fill out worksheets, watch videos, and take notes off of powerpoints. This repetitive nature becomes very boring when students have to sit there for and hour and a half every day for a whole quarter. If these required classes including more interactive activities and fun games that would help the student learn and memorize the material the class might not be as dreadful for the student.

It is very easy for a student to not pay attention in these classes because they can get really easily distracted when they aren’t interested in what they are learning. Students should try to pay close attention though because they will most likely have to take a test over the material that they learn. Memorizing all of the material the night before the test may be challenging for some and result in a bad grade on the test.

Required classes do have purposes though so they should still be taken. Teachers should just find different ways to present the materials to make it more interesting and students should enter the class with a positive attitude so the class won’t be as dreadful.

Brianna R. Dunkle texts druing a requred class with her book open in front of her.
Brianna R. Dunkel texts druing a requred class with her book open in front of her.