W8 2 txt

By: Bonnie Burnell [Staff Writer] @bonniebinng

Everyone has the right to make their own choices, but when one bad decision can end up harming or even killing others, it shouldn’t be allowed. Texting and driving is illegal in Iowa, but only for people under the age of 18. If one has a phone call, they should only answer it if they believe they are capable of handling their car. Texting on the other hand isn’t cool, most drivers have heard that the text can wait, but some don’t realize that it seriously can. If the text is really that important, the driver should just call instead, or pull off to the side of the road to respond. Think of all the innocent people who have died or got seriously injured just because someone was sending a simple, unimportant text. Sending a text message while driving can not only risk the drivers life, but also other drivers, passengers and pedestrians. Sending a text about Sally’s upcoming party could cost the lives of innocent people and even children. Drivers should ignore their text messages until they arrive at their destination or have a safe place to pull over. No harm will be done if all of Sally’s friends have to wait a couple of minutes to find out what time the party starts.

Texting and driving can always wait. If a driver tells others that they will be driving, it can keep their phone from being a distraction.