The war on snow has begun

By: Andie Scott [Staff Writer] @kewtheravager

It’s past the middle of November, and first snow has already fallen. It was light, it was brief, it was unsatisfying, but snow it was, faintly dusting the ground. Some people were outraged by this, seeing it as the coming of winter and the final proof that summer had ended. Other people were outraged because the snow left so quickly. What’s going on?! ‘Are those people crazy?’ I’m sure everyone in one party thinks that way about the people in the other. Everyone, please, stop arguing over whether snow blows or rules. It’s a really silly thing to argue about with the intensity that people tend to debate it with, especially when we have better and more entertaining things to worry about.

For starters, everyone has different opinions. Yes, that’s a phrase that’s been used to death, but in this case, it applies. Some people really don’t like the winter sports like skiing. Some people do, but just don’t think its worth putting on all their winter gear, driving around on the ice to get to a good hill, and freezing in the cold. Even so, plenty of people think it’s completely worth it, because sledding or skiing is more fun than diet coke and mentos! It’s all valid, based on personal tastes and hobbies. So why do people act like their opinion is the only one in the world, and everyone else is delusional? Things shouldn’t be all-serious-all-the-time, obviously, and some lighthearted arguing between friends is a whole different story, but most of the people who argue over snow are arguing seriously, and that’s where the problem lies.

Complaining aside, it’s snow. They’re flakey little specs of white made up of water particles that doesn’t really care what people think and will fall at the most inconvenient of times, despite weather the majority agree it is good or bad. When the little flakes get together and have a clumpy little party, us humans will plow across on sleds as revenge. The point is, we’re already in a heated war on snow, so to fight with each other about snow? That’s just what the snow wants. We could be using the time to snowboard on it, or run it over with the car, using the handy-dandy 4-wheel-drive (or just good driving skills) to foil its plot to make us slip around.

So please, stop yelling over the entire classroom on whether snow is the best thing ever or not. We are letting the snow win by arguing with ourselves. We as a species must band together and brave the storm, and we’re going to need all the sleds, shovels, and snowblowers we can get our hands on.

The people of Iowa are winning the war on snow… for now…