A typical stereotype

By: Alyssa Swanson [Staff Writer]

There is a new stereotype that can be found all over social media.  Even Twitter accounts have been made, making fun of people but receiving many retweets and favorites.  Girls on Instagram are even stereotyping themselves after posting a “selfie”, a picture of a person taken by that person.  It’s the “typical white girl”.

The typical white girl is described as the iPhone using, Starbucks drinking, Ugg and yoga pant wearing teenage girl.  Wikihow.com even has steps on how to become this sterotypical girl including how you should take care of yourself, how to wear your hair, telling what basic clothes you NEED in your closet, and even what to read.  The final step is a complete opposite to the earlier steps.  “Stay true to yourself.”  So now staying true to yourself is changing everything about yourself to fit in?

There is nothing wrong with making fun of yourself, it’s harmless fun.  But no one should change to fit into a stereotype.  If everyone is wearing Uggs this fall but you’re afraid to rock your new combat boots in fear of not fitting in? Wear what makes you happy. Nobody should feel like they need to be put into a stereotype to fit in.  Why not start a new trend on twitter or Instagram?  Individual white girl?  Alright, it doesn’t sound the same, but the moral of the story is don’t be afraid to be yourself.

Only you can live your life.