New school dance rules are introduced

By: Taylor Millis [Executive Yearbook Editor]

It’s official. Marion high school has conformed to the school dance rules that most other area schools follow. Although it doesn’t really come with surprise considering all the things that happened during the Homecoming dance at the beginning of this month. Phones were stolen, fights broke out, as well as mysterious unknown people who looked way too old to be found at a high school dance.

Mr. Semler, MHS principal, comments on what brought on the new rules. “We just feel that the culture has changed and that students would have a more enjoyable time with a structured dance. We don’t want kids to feel uncomfortable coming to our school dances.”  These rules will be enforced before, during and, if necessary, after the dance. “We are going to enforce these rules by having more staff involved.” Semler thinks that although these rules present change to MHS’s school dances, students will respond well to the new protocol. “ I honestly think that they will appreciate it. It will create a more enjoyable, structured environment that should make kids feel more comfortable.” Some of these rules include:

• Age range of 9th grade- under 21 years of age.

• All guests must complete a MHS Dance Date Permission Letter; the principal will be responsible for coordinating the guest list.

• 8:00 pm- 9:00 pm will be arrival time to dance. Dance doors will be closed beginning at 9:00 pm.

• Students will remain inside for the duration of the dance.

• At Dance (door) students must present ticket in addition to student ID. All guests must provide student ID. Students bringing guests must have their name and guest mane checked at the door prior to entering dance.

Although these new rules will change the way MHS dances run, safety is the biggest concern. It is hard for students to have fun when they feel uncomfortable or worried about their personal belongings being stolen.

A photo of students dancing at this years homecoming.
Students dancing at Marion’s homecoming this year.