“What does the fox say?”

By: Kylie McAllister [Yearbook Editor]

There is a new viral video that everyone seems to be talking about. The music video for a song “What does the fox say?” has been viewed by many people, and has many mixed reactions. The song seems funny when first watching it, but when hearing it again and again it can get very annoying. The lyrics ask what a fox says like it is a mystery, when simply searching on google “what sound does a fox make?” people can figure out that a fox makes a high pitched screaming like ow-ow-ow sound. It kind of sounds like a yippy dog bark. The song list off different sounds like “Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding” and “Wa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pow” of sounds that a fox could possibly make.

The artist of the song are from Norway and there are two different types of fox that live there the arctic fox and the red fox. The different kinds of foxes have different vocalization sounds, but the common sound used to describe it is a “bark.” Also, the lyrics talk about what sounds other animals make. Everyone knows basic animal sounds and it seems childish and pointless to have their sounds named off in the form of a sound. The song has a catchy beat that gets stuck in people’s head easily. It is very annoying to have to listen to this song over and over in your head once you hear it once.

The music video is also very weird. The worst part is when they show a grandpa reading a book to a child sitting on his lap. The grandpa goes crazy and when reading off the sounds of the fox and the child shows no reaction. The whole song and video just doesn’t make sense.

“What does the fox say?” is a very pointless and annoying video.

Marlie Neff and Jacob Klostermann watch "What does a fox say?" on youtube in the cafeteria.
Marlie Neff and Jacob Klostermann watch “What does a fox say?” on youtube in the cafeteria.