Security in schools

By: Haley Shaffer [Executive Newspaper Editor]

Wednesday, a stabbing took place at Spring High School in Houston, Texas. The stabbing started from a fight that quickly escalated in something more. Luis Alfaro was the student that committed that stabbings, killing one person and injuring three other students.

Violence is schools is not something that is unheard of anymore. Though not all stabbings or shootings in schools have been committed by a student themselves, schools in general need more protection and security especially in at risk areas in the US. Some schools in America have security systems and metal detectors, but maybe that isn’t enough, and maybe every school should be required to have some sort of security in them. Marion has security cameras but many doors throughout the school remain unlocked through the duration of the school day. With that means that the school is in a very vulnerable position along with the students and teachers. More protection needs to be inflicted throughout the nation to protect schools.

Even though it costs more money to have security put in, it would be worth it to save lives.

A Marion Police car parked outside of MHS while the officer is inside.