Bring toga to Marion

By: Taylor Lamm [Opinion Editor]

Every year, Marion’s opposing school, Linn Mar, has a welcome back dance called Toga. This dance has brought a lot of attention to the students at other surrounding districts, including Marion. Just like every other dance there is always dressing up and making great memories with friends, but this one is a little different. Instead of scouring store racks for the “perfect” dress or formal attire, they spend their time searching for the perfect costume. Every year the students have a common theme they dress too depending on the grade. This could vary from Greek goddesses to even a more crazier “neon” theme.

Alyssa Swanson, junior, is new this year to Marion, recently transferred here from Linn-Mar. “I went freshman and sophomore year,” she said. Unlike some dances like prom, this dance is offered to all grades. “Freshman year we were cats, like leopard print cats, and last year I went as Minnie Mouse,” Alyssa stated.

The best part of having a dance like this is that there is no pressure of how nice a person has to look. It also often costs less, since there is no need for girls to buy a dress, shoes and jewelry, and get their hair and nails done.  As long as they’re having fun that’s all that really matters. “I think it’s also so fun because you can go with friends. You don’t have all the pressure to find a date,” she said. This dance is all about having fun and celebrating with your friends and fellow classmates the beginning of a new school year!

As a new student to Marion this is one thing Alyssa does miss about her old school. Dances can always be a good way to make great memories in high school, but this is a dance that has a lighter, more fun theme. It is also a unique dance, one to just have fun, dress up funny, exchange laughs and good memories with friends in the best four years of our lives.

Alyssa smiles as she reminisces about Toga.