The bother with high school relationships

By: Savannah Guyer [Staff Writer]

For students, high school is a monumental time. The last four years of required school is a time for figuring out one’s future, finding one’s self, and having a good time. Teenagers usually try to fill this era in their life with experimenting with dating, although it may not be the best idea.

A relationship should never impact your grade on an assignment, or a test, and that’s what a relationship might do if taken too seriously. If a student is too involved in what is going on outside of their class, they may not have time to study, complete their work, and understand what is happening in their classroom. Students will focus better if they aren’t concentrated on their “other half” and more on what they’re trying to achieve.

Students shouldn’t date in high school because it could distract from their school work, the relationships rarely tend to last, and when they don’t last, the ex-significant other starts dating other people. Another thing is high school relationships rarely make it past high school. In fact, relationships in high school hardly ever last more than a month. The occurrence of a romance lasting out of high school is insanely scarce.

On the other hand, many may argue that a relationship in high school might prepare them for future dating. Failed relationships might help a student figure out what kind of person they are looking for and what kind of person they would like to stay away from. But high school is a crucial time to learn important skills in life and help propel your future, not to find out what type of person you want to spend the rest of your life with.

Therefore, high school relationships are pointless and should be left for after high school.

McKensy Wiesenhofer doodles during class about realationships.