A Great Day in May

By: Jordan Hansen [Activities Editor]

Each year, something great and awesome happens at Marion High School. A collaboration of students, staff, administration, and the community comes together for one day. That, in itself, is what makes this day so special. The cooperation. The work put into it by everyone involved. It’s a great thing and a tradition that should be kept going. Those who work on it should be extremely proud that they were, for one day, able to make a difference.

However, like any sort of forced project, there will be those who can’t be bothered to help. Those people are ridiculous. Not ridiculous because what they say is wrong (It is forced after all and technically truancy if you skip it) but because there is no harm in doing it. Look, it makes sense that some people don’t like community service and don’t want to help with this “stupid” project but is that any reason to insult it? Is that any reason to call it a slur that just so happens to rhyme with “May”? Even worse, it’s done in front of those who put a tremendous amount of work into said project and hurts that it’s viewed upon in that light. It makes almost no sense why a student has to get worked up over not being in school for a day and doing a bit of service work for the community. Add on the fact that it was an absolutely gorgeous day and most complaints sound pathetic the second they leave someones mouth.

It is understandable that people don’t like to be forced to do things. The natural urge to rebel is always there and urges are sometimes acted on. However, that is still not an excuse to try and undermine a great thing that our school has going. A couple of hours during a day isn’t going to hurt anyone and the benefits of a little bit of effort are great.

One Day in May is a great tradition and even though it’s not always universally loved, it should be treated as something that matters. It is important not only to this school, but to the community we all live in as a whole.

One Day in May took place this past Monday, and not everybody was happy about having to participate.