Have no fear

By: Alex Estes [Co-Yearbook Editor]

For most freshmen, upperclassmen can be very intimidating. It can be hard to be comfortable being surrounded by seniors in class, let alone sports. Despite the circumstances, sports can be a great opportunity to cross the age barrier between classes.

Heather Blazek, freshman, runs in varsity track along with the seniors, but unlike other underclassmen, the seniors don’t intimidate her really at all. “Everyone on our team is really nice,” Blazek says with a smile, “We are all family.” Although she is younger than the other girls in track, Blazek has had no problems making friends with the upperclassmen.

Running against the upperclassmen on opposing sides doesn’t intimidate Blazek either. “It’s kind of scary, but I feel okay about it,” Blazek says. Blazek also feels that other students should not be intimidated by upperclassmen. “You should join!” Blazek says, “It’s really fun and we’re all like family.” To Blazek, track is not only a chance to have fun and train, but to bond.

Fearing upperclassmen is not a legitimate reason to avoid joining a sport. Sports can help all classes, freshmen to seniors, find friends.