Miskimen’s Medical Misery

By: Haley Shaffer [Social Media Editor]

Many students have come down with illnesses throughout their life. Some are the types of sicknesses that can be cured with simple medication. Yet others can be so extreme that some students could find themselves in some serious situations and even the ER because of their ailments.
Gage Miskimen, sophomore, found himself in this type of situation late Sunday evening. “I had the worst stomach pain of my life,” Gage stated. Gage’s severe stomach pain lead him to believe that something was wrong. He made his way to Saint Luke’s Hospital around 8:00 P.M. Sunday night only to find that he had Appendicitis. Appendicitis is a medical term that refers to when the appendix gets inflamed and it is usually extremely painful. According to Webdm.com, symptoms usually include pain in the abdomen, loss of appetite, and a temperature of 99 to 102 degrees. “I had sharp pain, dizziness, and felt weak and tired,” Gage said. People can live without their appendix’s because it has no apparent function for the body. Appendicitis requires immediate surgery called Appendectomy. If surgery is not performed, the appendix could burst, causing liquids to leak from the appendix, which can lead to further medical complications.
Gage had the surgery performed early Monday morning around 2 A.M. “For recovery, I’ve been napping on and off all day, supposed to walk but I tried and I got really dizzy,” Gage said. Before Gage can leave the hospital, he has to eat, but he hasn’t been successful at keeping any food down yet.
Gage is still in the hospital but is hopeful for a full recovery. He hopes to be back at Marion High School soon.