Don’t let deaths create regret

By: Kaitlyn Nathem [Yearbook Editor]

Today a student that attended a high school in Davenport passed away in a car wreck. This isn’t the first time that a high school student has died suddenly, or even not so sudden. With students of the school mourning as well as students from other schools who knew the student, it’s a sudden realization of how quickly life can be taken. People and especially young adults, think that they are invincible and have forever to live. It’s tragic events like this that are eye openers to be nice to those around you, and to always live life to the fullest.

It’s those last moments that affect people the most. When life changing events happen, the first thing to go through someone’s mind is “What was the last thing I said to them?” Sometimes people are okay with the last words, however there are occasions when the conversation ended on a bitter note. The saying “never go to bed mad” should apply with all life situations. It’s the regrets in life that make mourning and grieving the worst. People always think that they have another day to apologize and make things right, however sometimes that isn’t always the case.

Young adults especially, have a tendency to take life for granted a little too much. Most hear about tragedies on the news or hear stories from a friend, however they never expect anything to happen to them. All it takes is the blink of an eye for someone to disappear from the world forever. People need to learn to take the risks that they are afraid to and to never give up on something they think can be accomplished tomorrow. One day there won’t be a tomorrow.

Deaths occur every minute of every day. It’s always seen as a more tragic even the younger the person is. The event that occurred this morning with the student in Davenport, is just one of many to continue occurring. It’s important for people to live life the way they want and to never leave an argument unresolved. There should be no regrets in life, only “wish we would’ve done this…”. It’s impossible to predict the end of someones life, but it is possible to make sure the people you care about always know it.

As students and friends mourn over the loss of a classmate and need a shoulder to lean on, we must all remember what’s truly important and value the time we have with those we love.