Running wild

By: Jordan Hansen [Activities Editor]

Track is a sport full of passion and desire. Having a meet at home is a somewhat rare occasion, simply because unlike most sports there just aren’t all that many of them. It’s a chance to showcase skills in front of everyone at home and that fact gets almost every track member hyped up.

Leah Pedersen, senior, runs track for the girls team, an activity that she very much enjoys. “I like track because it’s a team and individual sport. It also makes you mentally tough! Home meets are also the best, because all your friends and family are there- it just feels right.”

That mental toughness is what she hopes will lead her to be able to qualify for state at the district meets in May. She put in a lot of offseason work to be able to complete what shes says is one of her biggest goals. “My goal has always been to qualify for the state track meet in any sprint event. I’m not sure which one yet, but time will tell.”

Track is a sport that many athletes enjoy because it is a way to show off their speed and athleticism while still being part of a team. For others, it’s the rush they get while they are in the spotlight on the track. “My favorite part is definitely the adrenaline rush right before and after I run. I also love cheering on my teammates!”

Hardwork and determination will always pay dividends in the end and the work Leah has put into this season will hopefully propel her to Des Moines.