Swearingen’s Spring Break

By: Alex Estes [Yearbook Editor]

When spring break rolls around, students thoughts normally drift to the sandy and warm beaches of Florida, or an island in the Atlantic. But in reality, some students are more excited about chilling at home than getting the chance to sprawl out on an exotic beach. They have everything they need right at home, and although it’s still frigid, there is no place they’d rather be.

Nyssa Swearingen, senior, is one of those students that doesn’t really want to be anywhere but their couch over spring break. “I’m not jealous of people who are leaving for spring break,” Swearingen says, “I like staying at home and relaxing.” After working hard for school over three terms, Swearingen is grateful for the chance to lay out on her own couch, not being concerned about what shes wearing or how her makeup looks for that day.

When taking trips to places hundreds of miles away, there always needs to be some kind of plan so no one gets lost. With staying home there’s no need to fiddle with GPSs, and there’s no risk of being locked in the car with annoying family members for hours on end. Swearingen is excited with all of the free time she is going to have over spring break, and doesn’t muck it up with plans. “I’ll probably just stay home and watch Netflix and play Nintendo 64,” she says. Evan Smith, also a senior, is excited for similar things. “I am going to go on a killing spree (in Skyrim),” Smith says. A lot of times, video games win out over vacations for these two.

When everything that is fun is already at home, there’s no point in traveling to a beach only to get sand somewhere that the sun doesn’t shine. For Swearingen and Smith, couches and video games are the perfect combination for spring break.

Nyssa Swearingen, senior, is looking forward to staying at home during spring break.