Tolerating tunes

By: Alex Estes [Co-Yearbook Editor]

Music has been around for nearly as long as mankind has been around, and many people always enjoy the harmonious notes of their favorite songs. Just as many people have reasons to hate another person’s favorite kind of music. Fighting over music can get dirty, as it is very insulting when someone disses another person’s favorite song.

People hate certain kinds of music for various reasons, one of those reasons being the kind of message a certain song, or genre even, sends to an age group. This alone can start a lot of vicious banter, because of course; there is always someone else who loves that kind of music. The best thing to do is to completely avoid fights like these, because music seems to be the one thing that teenagers, today, feel very passionate about. To avoid these kinds of fights, it is best for one, NOT to voice their opinion, no matter how bad the music may be. A simple solution to terrible music is earbuds and an iPod or Mp3.

A lot of times that people hate music is because of the generation it’s from. Most people from the new millennium enjoy modern music, like hip-hop, R&B, and pop; and most of the people who prefer these kinds of music, don’t like music genres from previous decades. It is ludicrous to dis another’s music taste because of the decade it’s from; not to mention rude, as well. No matter how much one dislikes a certain kind of music, there is always someone else who likes that kind of music. It will always be rude to insult music, no matter the genre. The best thing to do, is to tolerate the kind of music that is playing, and do insult it.

There will always be vast number of different genres and artists, and there will always be an equal number of people who detest other kinds of music. The best thing to do, is to avoid fights about music altogether, and invest that energy into something fun.

Not everyone likes all types of music, and it can be hard to tolerate listening to music that isn’t enjoyable to someone.