Snow days

By: Taylor Millis [Feature Editor]

One day last week, many students woke up and quickly went back to sleep after they found out school had been cancelled. For many this came to a surprise because here at MHS we have a reputation for being one of the only schools to not cancel school. But,  a snow day was called last week and while some slept in and others laid around in their pajamas,  others went out in the frigid cold.

Some of these people are Trevor Hardman, Jacob Klostermann, Ryan Anderson and John Viner. All four of these boys took their chances in the freezing weather yesterday. Jacob Klosterman, junior, tested out the snow yesterday, “I made a snow fort.” Jacob exclaimed. While Jacob made a fort, Ryan Anderson, a freshman, sought out a different kind of fun on his snow day. “ I went ‘redneck sledding.” This kind of sledding consists of tying a sled to the back of a four-wheeler and hitting the gas.

But not everyone went out and dared the cold for fun like Ryan and Jacob. Trevor Hardman took the opportunity to help others out. “I went over and helped the elderly guy across the street shovel his driveway.” But, Trevor wasn’t the only one helping others on their snow day. “I snow blew my entire neighborhood on my snow day,” John Viner stated with ease. Taking the time to help others on their free day shows how generous these two are.

Having a break from school is nice and relaxing and can even be beneficial. Students come to school refreshed and focused. A snow day is always fun, whether students lent their hand to those around them or spent the day having fun.

Last week, Marion students and faculty experienced the second snow day of the season.