Take the time to not judge

Kaitlyn Nathem [Co-Yearbook Editor]
Judging people is something that comes automatic to just about everyone. Most don’t mean to intentionally do it, however it just happens. Looking at someone that you’ve never seen before, you automatically base your decisions on how they look and what they say to others. This seems to be a problem that people in the world all share. People can’t stop judging others, but they can make themselves get to know someone before they decide if they like them or not.
The problem with judging people is that one already has a decision whether or not they like someone, when they haven’t even gotten to know their true personality. Someone could be judged based on the color of clothes they are wearing, the bright hair color they have, or even if they are wearing shoes that one may not like.

Everything a person can visually see gets processed into their brain, and it results in a judgemental thought. Someone who wears black all the time, may get judged as a goth and a depressed person. In most cases however, this is not true. Once a person takes the time to talk to the person in black, they may find that they are truly a very bubbly and exciting person! However, most people don’t get to find this out because they don’t take the time to actually get to know someone.

Teenagers and adults all need to learn to stop judging someone before taking the time to get to know them. Most people don’t realize that they are missing an opportunity to meet new friends by judging someone. By taking the time to talk to someone and asking them about themselves, people can make their decisions based on facts instead of rumors that their brain created.