Leading athletes

By: Gage Miskimen [Staff Writer]

With everything going on in the news lately with Lance Armstrong’s “doping” and Manti Te’o’s non-existent girlfriend, it’s getting harder for young athletes to find role models that stay role models.

It seems every superstar athlete messes up sometime in his or her career. Sure, nobody is perfect, but they are supposed to set good examples and do the right thing.

It seems in every sport, a popular sports star does something that is either illegal or highly frowned upon. Some examples of athletes that have done things that have setback their careers or made them lose fans are Michael Vick, LeBron James, Ben Roethlisberger, Barry Bonds, and a whole list of MMA fighters.

Maybe people should just look up to athletes whose careers are already over. Sports legends like Muhammad Ali, Babe Ruth, Walter Peyton, Michael Jordan and the list goes on and on.

Then there are examples of athletes that have had troubles in the past, but have overcome their struggles. Ray Lewis is a prime example of that. He was accused of murder, but was declared innocent. Many people still agree that Lewis will be in the NFL hall of fame after he retires at the end of this season.

Kids all over are having troubles finding role models in today’s society. But it doesn’t mean all hope is lost. Kids can go back and idolize sports legends or they can even wait until the day a future, promising sports star rises up and becomes the leaders that people need.

Many athletes these days have made choices that hurt their career, and make them out to be bad role models to kids.