Blood drive at MHS

By: Catie Staff [Co-Editor of Vox]

It’s the first time this school year that the Mississippi Regional Valley Blood Center has come to MHS, and students are really making sacrifices. Students who are afraid of needles and have never donated blood are going down to the cafeteria to fill out the forms and give up their blood cells.

Donating veterans, also, have come back to give up their monthly or seasonal supply of blood. Aiden Scanlon, ’13, is one of those experienced donors. He remembers the last time he donated. “Just here, last year,” he said. He gave blood in the spring of 2012 when the last blood drive took place. It wasn’t a big deal for Aiden because he’s so used to it.

He didn’t get nervous the first time and he wasn’t afraid this time. “My mom is a nurse, so I kinda grew up with that and was encouraged not to be nervous.” He wasn’t afraid of passing out or feeling dizzy. A few students have to go lie down because they feel light headed or because they did not eat enough for breakfast before they came.

Aiden made sure he followed protocol before he came and had a big meal. “I eat a lot before,” he explained.  “I actually never get that lightheaded.” He doesn’t feel the need to prepare too much.

Aiden is ready to donate again. “Whenever I can,” he said. “They do it twice a year here.” His friend Ashlee Reece also donates at school. She and Aiden sit together after they donate and make jokes while drinking pop.

The sight of all that food is appetizing, even after seeing the blood. “I think it’s pretty cool.” Aiden said, referring to the whole process of giving one person’s blood to another. “Doesn’t bother me at all… It’s pretty cool that we are able to do that now.” Aiden highly recommends it, but not just because it helps save three lives. “It gets you out of class and you get free food,” he said, laughing.

By having their seasonal blood drive, MHS encourages students to donate their blood and help save lives.

Aiden Scanlon, senior, donated blood today at the MHS blood drive.