Balancing school with extra-curricular activities

By: Storm Bogs [Web-Editor]

High school can be one of the best experiences in life. There are many different opportunities to get involved, so no one should have a problem finding a couple activities to join if they want to.

Tara Zumwalt, junior, has had a lot of luck when it comes to finding activities that she wants to be in. “I’m in band, choir, jazz band, robotics, and speech,” she said. Tara has been involved in all of these since she began high school. Being involved in a variety of activities can have many perks, such as making friends with different types of people, and getting experience in different fields of interest. Being involved in too many activities, however, can result in stress. While extra-curricular activities are fun, schoolwork can’t suffer because of them. “[In order to balance school and extra-curriculars,] you just have to prioritize yourself. You will have less free time, so sometimes you have to think of your activities as your fun time with your friends,” Tara explained. People usually join activities though knowing that they will have friends doing it with them, so thinking of them as “fun time” shouldn’t be difficult.

Finding time to complete schoolwork in between activities can be difficult, but if you just prioritize and maybe get a planner to write your schedule in, an easy balance can be found without getting overwhelmed.

Tara Zumwalt, junior, is involved in a lot of activities here at MHS.