“Thank you for everything!”

By: Kiersten Kiene [Design Editor]

Veterans Day is a time for people to mourn lost loved ones, celebrate the military, or show support for military families. It comes once a year, but for Haillie Vanderlinden, that just means another day thanking the military.

Haillie Vanderlinden, junior, knows what it is like to have loved ones in the military, and even overseas. Her uncle is in the United States Air Force and has been overseas to Germany. He may not have been in the fighting in Iraq or Afghanistan, but it is still just as nerve racking to have a family member overseas. “I only get to see him every four to five years, but I always try and keep in contact with him through Facebook,” said Haillie. No matter what, she always does what she can.

But the most important thing you can ever do to thank a soldier is to say thank you, for everything that you have done for this country. “Everyone should shake their hand and say thank you if you ever see them,” said Haillie. They have put forth their body, their mind, and their soul to keep this country and every family safe from harms way.

Veterans Day is a day dedicated to saying thank you to all parts of the Armed Forces, but they are not overseas for only one day. Deployments can last as long as two years, or even more. Truly, Veterans Day should be celebrated every day for what the soldier have done for this country.

Haillie Vanderlinden stands during the Veteran’s Day assembly and honors everybody in the Armed Forces.