Gardner ready for tonight’s game

By: Gage Miskimen [Staff Writer]

When he woke up this morning, he realized the day was finally here. Game day. The first round of the playoffs. After a long season full of hard work, sweat, and determination, the football team has earned their playoff spot.

Dalton Gardner, sophomore, dresses with the varsity team. He knows that dressing is not something to be taken for granted. “It’s a privilege to dress. It’s a privilege that they asked me,” he said with a proud smile on his face. But this game isn’t all smiles, for him and the other sophomores it’s more than that. It’s a second chance. The sophomore football team had their perfect season taken from them when they lost to Central Dewitt last Friday night 0-23. Gardner was also a sophomore captain. When asked if he would like to be a varsity captain next year, he answered, “If I can. I definitely will try. I will try to get bigger, faster, stronger and keep leading this team.”

Tonight, the Marion Indians play the Western Dubuque Bobcats and Gardner is not too worried about it. “I’m not really nervous. My teammates will have each other’s backs. We should get past them easily, but other rounds should be a challenge.” If things work out for both sides, Marion could end up playing last year’s state-runner up, Decorah. Marion already faced them at the beginning of the season and lost 0-35. Gardner takes Decorah more seriously than a lot of other teams. “We have to prepare a lot more for Decorah. That’s for sure.” So both the varsity and sophomores have this bitter taste in their mouths that can only be replaced by the sweet taste of victory.

For some of the seniors, this could be their last chance to suit up and play the game of football. Hopefully this will only be one game on the road to the state championship.

Dalton Gardner, sophomore, dresses varsity and tonight is the first round of playoffs.