Support or tolerance for Ally Week and LGBT rights

By: Catie Staff [Co-Vox Editor]

Marion high school is participating in Ally week, “a week for students to identify, support and celebrate Allies against anti-LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) language, bullying and harassment in America’s school.“This is the definition of this week’s goals for homosexual awareness according to GLSEN (www.allyweek.org). They use the word “support” in their definition, and not the word “tolerate.” It implies that, in order to respect rights and treat LGBTs right, people must support them. This is incorrect, because there is plenty of respect and kindness included in the word tolerance.

Tolerance is the act of allowing something to happen, while support is promotion of a cause and upholding of it because it is right (definitions from the merriam-webster dictionary). The Ally week asks students to sign a pledge that states that they will not use anti-LGBT language, they will intervene in harassment situations and support efforts to end bullying. These three things can be accomplished by tolerating a cause without supporting it. People do not have to believe  homosexuality and similar orientations are morally right in order to treat people kindly.

Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, three major religions, do not support homosexuality according to their holy texts, laws, and moral beliefs. Over the years, these religions have each hurt homosexuals in the name of their laws, but that does not mean that they were living according to what their holy books actually state. Many of them were persecuting homosexuals because a religious leader at the time commanded them to. Today, everyone can read the writings of their religion for themselves and decide to extend friendship and kindness towards people with different beliefs.
Students can be respectful, fair, and use clean language toward homosexuals without signing a pledge and supporting them. Tolerance includes maintaining friendships, stopping bullying and boldly sharing moral views, even when they aren’t aligned with gay rights. Freedom of religion and speech goes both ways, but it is not an excuse to say mean, derogatory things. It is an invitation to face differences and learn to work together and show kindness.

This week is Ally Week and students at Marion High School are participating.