The real life superheroes of America

By: Catie Staff [Co-Vox Editor]

Spirit week is a wild, crazy and fun way to get the students excited and pumped for the parade, game and dance at the end the week. It’s also an opportunity to make a statement about yourself and what you believe. On lazy day, Monday, people could relax and be the person they are at home by lounging around in sweats and tshirts. Today, Tuesday, the theme is superhero day. Many teens use this as a chance to tell everyone who’s the best, from groups like Avengers and X-men, to loners like Superman and Aqua-man. But a few students have taken the term “superhero” more seriously and decided to dress up as a real life hero.

A sophomore named Dean Tjarks arrived at school dressed in camo, with the word “Army” printed across his chest. “What I see as a hero is someone who saves lives and keeps people out of trouble. People don’t always see the military as people who do that, but they do save lives.” Dean is representing the military people in general for superhero day.

He has a couple of cousins in the military and they are the heroes in Dean’s life. “They keep people out of danger. That’s what they’re doing for us every day.” He believes in the sacrifice the troops make for us.

Dean doesn’t always agree with the decisions the government makes for the troops, but he understands the reasons. “I can see why we’re there [overseas], because we’re helping build up their military forces, but I don’t think it’s our war to be in.” He shows his respect for the men and women protecting us while making it clear that he wants them to come home.

Superhero day is Dean’s favorite day of the spirit week. He’s supporting America by telling everyone that soldiers are the true heroes; he’s also supporting Marion, Iowa, by getting in the mood for homecoming 2012.

Dean Tjarks, sophomore, wore camo today in support of his heroes in the Army.