Never take life for granted

By: Haley Shaffer [Staff Writer]

Teens are flustered with many things to worry about this time of year. School has just begun, fall sports are in full swing, and homecoming is right around the corner. With all of these things, it can be hard to really take a step back and think about the things that are really important. This past Saturday night, a young woman who graduated from Washington High School last year, was shot and killed in a drive by shooting in Cedar Rapids. Her name was Tasha Roundtree and she was nineteen years old.

Emi Banes, junior, knew Tasha Roundtree. “I didn’t know her that well, but I met her a couple times because of basketball and stuff,” Emi said. Things like this are not too common around here, so something this horrible happening so close to home has scared and saddened many people. “It’s really sad and scary at the same time,” Emi said. “You never know what tomorrow might bring; never take life for granted,” Emi commented. It’s never hard to take in and realize what has really happened here so near to where most students live and hang out. Emi tried to think about what it would be like if something like this happened to someone she was close with. “I can’t even begin to think about how hard it would be having to deal with it being one of my friends,” Emi said. Tasha will never be forgotten by those who loved and cared for her. Everyone should live life for today and appreciate what they have now, because things can change in a blink of an eye.
Here is a link to a more informational story about Tasha Roundtree: http://iowaprepsports.com/2012/09/23/remembering-roundtree/
Emi Banes, junior, knew the victim of a fatal drive by shooting that took place this past weekend.