Keeping the school environment safe

By: Taylor Millis [Staff Writer]

Every year there are always the rumors of people getting caught with drugs or other illegal substances. Not only do people get caught outside of school but people also get caught at school. Every
once and a while the high school has random drug searches. The Marion police come in with the drug dogs trained to sniff out the drugs. Most of the time, at least one person is pulled out of class and asked to open their locker or car because the dogs have pin pointed their locker as a hot spot.

Thomas Larsen, senior, gives his opinion on people bringing marijuana to school. “It is very immature and you should not bring illegal things to school.” Why risk getting in trouble with both the school and the law by bringing substances to school that can easily be found? The chances of you getting caught are fairly high and even if you didn’t get caught the first time, you would probably get caught the next time.

“[People who bring marijuana to school] should have to pay a fine and go to classes to help them get over their addiction,” says Thomas. This would dissuade some students from thinking about bringing marijuana and other substances to school because not only do they run a risk of getting caught, if they are caught they have a preset basis for a punishment. “People who bring marijuana into a place of learning probably do not have any plans to succeed in life,” states Thomas.

MHS has made it clear that we don’t tolerate any use of illegal substances. There are always going to be students who fall into the wrong path and make a wrong decision. We need to continue what we are doing to prevent the use of drugs and making it clear that bringing them into the learning atmosphere is wrong.

picture from:  http://teens.drugabuse.gov/facts/facts_mj1.php

Marijuana is illegal and should not be brought into a learning environment.