Marion welcomes new student teacher

By: Grace Ehlinger [Ads Editor]

Each year our school staff is briefly joined by many aspiring teachers who use their weeks here to better prepare themselves for what’s coming after they graduate and find jobs. These are our student teachers.

Mr. Denton has come to our school from Mount Mercy University and will be student teaching with Mrs. Herman for the next eight weeks. Although he’s only a week into the school year, he’s already enjoying it. “I love it so far. I wish I could stay here,” he said. After his time here is up, he will be leaving Marion and moving on to another school.
Mr. Denton hopes to teach classes similar to what he’s involved in now in Mrs. Herman’s room. “I will have endorsements in American government, world history and American history,” he said. Those subjects aren’t just where his interests lie; he sees them as places for growth in high school education. “I don’t think students today have enough excitement with history, and I think I can bring that to them,” he said. Hopefully his enthusiasm will rub off on the students in his classes and make the lessons more interesting for some who didn’t enjoy them in the past.
Mr. Denton’s decision to teach was an easy one. “[I decided to become a teacher] probably when I was in high school when I had bad history class after bad history class,” he said. Denton originally wanted to become a police officer but when he realized he was afraid of guns, he thought teaching would be the right way to go.
Mr. Denton’s experience at MHS has been rewarding so far, and he enjoys his student teaching responsibilities. One of his favorite things about student teaching is “meeting lots of students and getting field experience,” he said. For the next few weeks he will get to expand on both of those and hopefully become even more prepared for when he will be in charge of his own classroom.
For the next seven weeks, Mr. Denton will be teaching alongside Mrs. Herman and will hopefully be getting as much out of the experience as his students will.
Mr. Denton will be a student teacher for Mrs. Herman for the next few weeks.