School dress code gone wrong

By: Kiersten Kiene [Staff Writer]

School begins and everybody is excited. Okay, well some people are excited. Coming to school and showing off your new tan, new clothes, school supplies, and everything that has been collected from the summer months. Although, some of the things to show off at school are not that school appropriate. Clothes are a big factor on how people think of you. Yes, worrying about what people think of you isn’t supposed to be a big deal, but wearing raunchy clothes to school can affect many things.

Strapless shirts and Daisy Dukes are up to the person if they want to wear them. But just think of all the people in school that do not want to see any of what they are showing off. Teachers, other students, and the younger kids across the street at Starry all have an opinion. Sometimes that opinion shouldn’t be told or said, but unfortunately that happens. People who decide what to wear are not only putting their ‘reputation’ on the line, but also the name of Marion.

The school dress code is put into effect for a reason. Showing too much skin is nasty, other times the clothes show skin, but in a different way. Shirts with holes in the back or a low back line are okay; they don’t show any private parts. But when the holes or the low front line show too much, that is where we have some. The rules do not just apply for the students; the faculty also has a very strict dress code to follow as well. The difference between the staff and the students is that the staff follow their dress code. But then again, it is their job.

Overall the dress code is not that bad and very maintainable. So as long as everybody follows the code, there should be no problems with it. But there will always be that one or two people who think that they are ‘too cool for school’ and don’t care about how they look. Otherwise, the dress code will still be talked about through out the hallways.