One successful day in May

By: Breiana Brown [Social Media Editor]

Walking down the hallway today, he can’t help but smile when he thinks of how he helped out yesterday. With all he did, and how good it made him feel, there is no doubt that he will be excited for next year’s One Day in May.

Cody Alberts, freshman, enjoyed himself throughout yesterday’s activities. He found himself in the Indian Creek group, pulling weeds and chopping down trees. “Yeah, I thought it was pretty fun,” he said with a smile. Well, of course he had fun, being a part of a community is both rewarding and exciting.

Although, for the most part fun, One Day in May has to be taken seriously. With it being co-run by students, not everything will go smoothly or according to planned. Cody only had one complaint, “It kinda drug on, each event lasted really long.” Not a huge deal, but a good note for something to improve on next year, and that’s what the students/ teachers in charge will just have to do. Improve.

Cody was one of the luckier kids at Marion. He got his first pick on the sheet of places to go, not everyone did. In the end most were okay with what fate handed to them, because after all it’s not about them, it was about the change they could make. “I think it’s a good idea, it helps the community,” Cody said. Most would agree that hard work and a day of school is worth all the appreciation and rewarding feelings they get in return.

With Cody being a strong young man it is no surprise what his favorite part of his day was. “My favorite part was probably cutting down trees,” he said with a grin. Not all people dislike hard labor, in fact Cody is one of the many kids from yesterday who seemed to enjoy it. Months of planning, fundraising, meetings, visits, thought, and more were put into this event. In return everyone received a school free Monday full of new friends, sweat, laughter, and of course fun!