An opportunity missed

By: Taylor Millis [Staff Writer]

Today at Marion High School we had many things going on outside of our classes. Golf meets, blood drives and much more, but among all of this, there was a visitor here today. Here at MHS, there was a holocaust survivor. She was here to share her experiences with students. But only a few select students were able to listen to this speaker. This is something everyone should have the chance to experience.

The Holocaust was a major event in history and it is one that we learn about all throughout our school years and even into our adult lives. Having the chance to hear the story of someone who has actually experienced this event would have been amazing and beneficial to students. It would have taught them in a different way and may have even made a bigger impact on them. Even though most were not learning about this in their classes, this speaker could have taught them something and isn’t that the reason we go to school?

So why didn’t we take a few hours out of our day and have every student listen to this speaker? Yes we would have missed out on time that could have been spent in our actual classes but this is an opportunity that many of us will never get again. This was a opportunity that would have been interesting to many students and many would have loved this chance to learn more from one of the few Holocaust survivors.
This event that took place right here at MHS should have been one that every student had a chance to take part in. Some had no idea that we had such a visitor here and some wished they could have been taken from their classes to be a part of this rare opportunity. The next time, if there is one, I hope teachers and advisors take notice in the fact that an event such as this, doesn’t happen often and soon or later will no longer exist.