Judging without really knowing

By: Haley Shaffer [Staff Writer]

Deadlines, yearbook pages, and even more. The journalism class is responsible for all of these things. The journalism students have to produce a paper, work on a yearbook and write daily powwows. All of this is happening everyday. It’s a lot of hard work that tends to get harshly criticized by not only students, but teachers too. Nothing is wrong with constructive criticism, but that’s not usually what the journalism students are receiving. Some students who are not in journalism think that it’s just a laid-back class with no grades or work involved at all. They think that journalism students have a month and a half to write one story and take one picture, and they still turn out crappy. These assumptions, however, are not true. Journalism students do get graded in this class, have more than one story to write for each issue, and every single week are working on yearbook pages too. In fact, if someone misspells a person’s name on their yearbook page, they get a zero out of fifty points. Journalism students get graded for every story, every daily powwow, and every yearbook page they do.

However, it’s true that if journalism students are going to hand out and publish papers, those papers should be decent and they should expect that if they’re not decent, to get bad feedback. But people should take the time to think about all the things that the journalism students have to do and have to complete in such a short time. Journalism students work hard on everything and take a lot of time to complete everything, and it seems that all they get in return is harsh criticism. Keep in mind that most of the journalism students are working on things not only during class, but after school, before school, and even during other classes. Yet, most of the journalism students have sports or jobs that they have to do too. Not to mention other classes on top of all of that.
People should appreciate the time and effort that the journalism students put into things before they judge the work that they do. People are going to make mistakes; they’re only human.
Hannah Miller, senior, works on the yearbook.