Marion’s rules are getting more strict

By: Breiana Brown [Social Media editor]

Marion High School has strict rules now-a-days. Restitutions are handed out like candy on Halloween. At Marion, detention doesn’t exist. Every time someone misbehaves it is solved by having to come in for an hour on Saturday. At this rate everyone will have restitution by the time they graduate. These aren’t something to just shrug off either; they go on record and can be seen by future colleges and
scouts.

What seems like a huge punishment is being belittled. This is all because restitutions are so common, how serious can they be if good, average, and bad students can get one any given day.

Texting in class, talking too much, skipping school, being tardy multiple times, punching a clock, or getting in a fight; they are different extremes, but have the same consequence. Here people don’t get a simple detention after school for breaking a small rule, such as texting, they get in just as much trouble as someone else would for skipping class or fighting.

Some might argue that it is effective. That it is needed to make a point. That it may prevent larger scale offenses, but just how effective can a punishment be when nobody takes it seriously? There are students who get straight A’s in all classes and make one small error in judgement, but instead of a warning they are given a blemish on their record, and ultimately their future, all to prove a point. This is not justice; justice is fair.

Killing, racism, violence, fraud, stealing, and so much more are going on in this city, this state, this country and this world. Things such as being outgoing, social, spacing off, or even being misunderstood are so minor in this society! Everyone is given one life to live, and they should enjoy it, not have to be held to strict rules.

School is supposed to be a safe place. School is a place where people build the foundation for the rest of their life. School is supposed to be fun. Stop worrying about the minor details and live, do what is worthwhile, learn, and mess around all at the same time. There are leaders who were thought to be a nuisance, but they obviously turned out fine.