Taking a stand

By: Taylor Millis [Staff Writer]

Harassment, bullying and tormenting. This is what some students go through everyday and it has been this way since even our parents were young. Even though zero policy rules for bullying have been implemented in schools, it still happens everyday and has become easier with new technology and social networking. Though we have tried different ways to stop bullying, and though bullying has decreased, some students are still being harassed at school, and those who are the bullies sometimes don’t even realize the damage they could be doing.

Bullying happens on a daily basis for some kids; teachers and parents may not even know that it’s happening. Kids feel ashamed and embarrassed because they begin to believe the things they are told everyday by their harassers. It takes a toll on their self-image and their self-esteem decreases. Even if they try to their best ability to stand up for themselves they still get picked on and may even make it worse. Bullying can lead to depression and increases a students likelihood to consider suicide.
Bullying in our generation has become less physical and more verbal and emotional. The aggressors verbally attack or spread rumors about their victims which is less obvious and a lot harder for teachers and school officials to stop, especially if they were not witnesses to any of the incidents. Also, in this age of advanced technology there is also cyber-bullying, which is when the aggressors use texting, e-mail, Facebook, Twitter or any other websites to insult the victims. Any form of bullying is bad and should never happen.
There’s always going to be kids in schools who believe they are dominate and bully others, but how do we stop it? Everyone needs to be involved. Students who standby and watch bullies in action need to speak up. More times than not the bully will stop if anyone says anything to them. Just because the bully is the cool kid doesn’t mean they should get away with bullying. Speak out and stand up for the victim. This doesn’t mean they are your best friend; it means you’re letting them know that you see what is happening and you don’t support it, and it shows the bully the same thing. So next time you see anyone being picked on, the best thing you can do is to say something directly to the bully or go find an adult that can do something about it. Bullying needs to stop and it needs to stop now.