Iowa in the news

By: Austin Brown [Staff Writer]

The  new year brings new resolutions to live by and a time to start off with a fresh start. 2011 had no shortage of news stories, from Charlie Sheen’s rampages to England adding a new member to the royal family. But as 2011 came to a close, a place where news never reaches a national importance became the center of attention and even some criticism.

For the past month, Iowa has remained under the spotlight of the country, as the Iowa caucus heated up. Whether you’re a political enthusiest , or someone who could care less, the constant talk of every morning, afternoon, nightly news, was fantastic.

But along with the attention, came some lashing. Some are asking why do hog breeders, get to tell what candidates are for real. Well, that’s easy, Iowans know what hard means. They take pride in evaluating each and every candidate as closely as possible. Farmers live with a reason, and understand how to live life to the fullest, enjoying the simple things.

People like Stephen Bloom, an Iowan professor, whom in early December, bashed Iowa, causing a major up roar of enraged U of I alumni and Iowans them selves.  His weird attempt at satire went all wrong, and writing style questioned be almost everyone else in the journalism business.

Now the attention has transferred to New Hampshire, as their caucus is drawing near. Four years from now Iowa will be back in the news scene with new candidates with new opinions and ideas.