Sam gets ready for another big night

By: Jordan Hansen [Co-Vox editor]

Walking on the court, she slows down and stops at half-court and waits for the tip-off. The referee blows his whistle, and the game begins. She gets the ball off the tip of her teammates hand and dribbles down the court. Soon she sees an opening and shoots the ball. It sails in, and she knows that it’s going to be a long night for the other team.

Sam Ross, freshman, is ready for tonight’s game. “It’s nerve-racking and fun…” Besides playing on freshman team, she also plays up on the JV squad. “I usually only get to play the last two quarters of the JV game because there is a rule that says you can only play 6 quarters a night.”

While not her favorite sport of the year, she enjoys it immensely nonetheless. “It gets me in shape, and gets me ready for track.” Having played basketball since she was 7, and having run track since she was in middle school, she has the turnover  between the sports down to a science.

The game has been very close all night. She knew that in order for her team to be successful, every teammate will have to give it there all, and so far they all have. With time running down, she takes the inbound from her teammate, and suddenly has an open lane to the basket. Seizing her chance, she drives towards the basket and puts up a last second shot. As the buzzer sounds, the ball plunges through, and it’s another huge victory for the Indians!