Rick Perry targets gays

By: Haley Shaffer [Staff Writer]

Politicians are known for doing and saying things that not everyone agrees with, but some people are taking it too far.

Rick Perry, a candidate for the 2012 presidential election, has recently put out an ad to try to pursue people to vote for him. In it, it stated that he would end Obama’s “war on religion”. It also said that, “something’s wrong when gay’s can openly fight in the military but our kids can celebrate Christmas or pray in school.” The ad is obviously targeting gays. However, the ad failed and it backfired on Rick Perry and for a good reason too. It has tons of dislikes and the comments have been disabled because of all of the negativity. People like Rick are stuck in the past. It’s not 1970 anymore and a lot of people are more accepting than they were when he was raised. It’s not appropriate for someone who wants to be president to state such a strong opinion in such a rude way. Not only is he targeting gays, but also, not everyone in the United States is Christian and that’s why, most of the time it’s not celebrated elaborately in schools, unless you go to a religious school. People shouldn’t be able push their beliefs on others especially when Rick Perry is too big headed to listen to anyone else’s views.
It’s fine for someone to have his or her own opinion, but it’s obvious that Rick Perry has gone too far.