The class taste-tests dishes at Napoli’s Italian Restaurant.
New fine-dining experience

Team cheers their way to state

By: Hannah Miller [Co-Executive editor of the yearbook]

The girls take the floor in their competition cheerleading outfits. She looks out into the crowd and sees all the people there to watch them do their routine. It only lasts 2 ½ minutes, so she gets ready to cheer her butt off for those short 2 ½ minutes. She puts a big smile on her face and waits for the music to start.
Emily Roberts, senior on the Marion competition cheerleading squad, is excited to be going to state tomorrow. They will be performing  around three o’ clock in Des Moines. They actually will be preforming on the State Fair grounds. “[I’m excited to perform] because it’s my last one,” Emily explained. As a senior, it will be Emily’s last time to perform at State cheer. “Yeah [I’m going to miss it] because even though it’s not quite the end of our season,  it’s the last time in Des Moines, which is always fun,” she exclaims. Emily is excited to be going to State cheer tomorrow and cheering for her last time there.
The girls will be completing against 16 different teams in the 3A Division. Each team will each perform before a panel of judges that will score them. Then the judges will place everyone. The Marion team of course hopes for a 1st place finish. “It should go well,” Emily says then pauses, “I mean it’s been a tough season because we’ve had to put in all three alternates because of injuries and Code of Conduct, but hopefully it goes well.” Even though the girls have had to struggle through some difficulties these season, Emily believes the team can do very good at State cheer if they give it their all.
The music ends after 2 ½ minutes and Emily can’t get the huge smile off her face. She knows the team and her did a fantastic job on their routine. She can’t wait to see what the judges score them at. They all sit together and watch the other teams perform their routines. As they watch the other teams go, they know they have a good shot at that 1st place title.